ISLAM SLIMANI netted a brace as Leicester continued where they left off against Club Brugge in midweek.
The Algerian nodded the opener in just before half-time and needed just three minutes after the restart to double the champions lead.
The Foxes dominated the game throughout and added a third as Ben Mee stabbed the ball into his own net late on.
Facts, stats, goals & lols
- Kasper Schmeichel was counted out after being concussed following a collision in training yesterday and his absence is a surprise pre-match blow for Foxes fans.
- The Dane’s misfortune opened the door for German world cup ‘keeper Ron-Robert Zieler, who made his first Premier start, since his summer move from Hannover 69.
- On the subject of goalies … whatever happened to the law banning goalies from wearing the same colour kit as match officials? Anthony Taylor, his assistants and Zieler are all completely kitted out in black!
- Ah, I get it now …. Taylor is easily identifiable as the guy with the bullseye on his back. Courtesy of Mark Hughes after his spectacular blow up at the bet365 recently.
- Leicester didn’t take long to slip into Bruges mode as Christian Fuchs launches a 35 yard throw to the near post – however Burnley dealt with the danger better than the Belgian champs did.
- Michael Keane could have been lining up for the Foxes but Burnley turned down all offers for their commanding big defender during the summer. It’s clear to see why – the kid is superb, especially in the air.
- Someone has told George Boyd to adopt a shoot on sight policy. The Scotland international has tried and failed three times to test Zieler but none of his shots has managed to hit target.
- Leicester in full flow is an awesome sight, especially when Mahrez, Vardy and Slimani combine. The trio are all wearing luminous yellow Nike Hypervenom Phantom II boots which catch the eye.
- Another raid, more flashing yellow boots …. The Foxes are going to have to issue pre-match warnings for those who should avoid flashing images!
- Nice touch. Every Foxes outfield player raced to Slimani to engulf him and make him feel right at home.
- The Algerian kissed the turf, raised his fingers to the heavens and milked the Foxes fans for all they were worth. He’s already proved himself a huge hit.
- Burnley banter – “Champions of England? We’ve won it TWICE!”
- Ouch! The Leicester comeback wasn’t bad. “You’re so boring, you live in the past!” Did that just count as 3-0?
- To really rub salt in Burnley’s wounds sub Johann Berg Gudmundsson’s deflected free kick looks sure to hit the net – until Zieler somehow twists to keep it out!
NEXT FIVE FIXTURES
Sep 20 - Chelsea (h), Lge Cup
Sep 24 - Man United (a), PL
Sep 27 - Porto (h), CL
Oct 2 - Southampton (h), PL
Oct 15 - Chelsea (a), PL
Sep 26 - Watford (h), PL
Oct 2 - Arsenal (h), PL
Oct 16 - Southampton (a), PL
Oct 22 - Everton (h), PL
Oct 29 - Man United (a), PL
Team newsSeb Larsson suspended for hosts after failing in FA appeal while Michail Antonio out for the season for visitors
TEAM NEWSWhat is the latest Southampton vs Manchester City team news, what TV channel is it on and what time is kick-off?
TEAM NEWSWatford vs Swansea City team news: Fernando Llorente set to return to first XI but Jack Cork out for Swans
TV TIMESWhat TV channel is Stoke vs Hull, what time does it start and what is the latest team news?
TV TIMESWhat TV channel is Sunderland vs West Ham on, what time is kick off and what is the latest team news?
TV TIMESWhat TV channel is Swansea vs Manchester City on, what time is kick-off and what is the latest team news?
TV TIMESWhat TV channel is Watford vs Swansea City on, what time is kick-off and what is the latest team news?
Team NewsCrystal Palace vs Leicester City team news: Andros Towsend a doubt as Wilfried Ndidi battles for fitness
PreviewWhat TV channel is Crystal Palace vs Leicester City on, what time is kick-off and what is the latest team news?
LEICESTER: Zieler 6, Simpson 7, Morgan 6, Huth 7, Fuchs 8, Mahrez 7 (Gray 85, 5), Amartey 6, Drinkwater 6 (King 79, 5), Albrighton 7, Vardy 7, Slimani 8.
BURNLEY: Heaton 5, Lowton 6, Keane 6, Mee 6, Ward 7, Arfield 6 (Berg Gudmndsson 57, 6), Defour 5 (Vokes 64, 6), Marney 6, Hendrick 6, Boyd 6, Gray 5 (Bamford 79, 6).
STAR MAN: Christian Fuchs, 8.
What they said
Leicester boss Claudio Ranieri said: "I am very happy with the result and the performance of the players. I was curious to see how my players reacted after the Champions League and they reacted very well.
"After the victory in the Champions League, it was very important to continue in the Premier League."
Burnley manager Sean Dyche said: "We gave away a really poor free-kick and they score. You go into half-time and try and change things and calm things down. Then we give away another poor goal."
Watch ALL the goals from the Premier League before anyone else for FREE plus all the latest news, fixtures and results and live match commentary all on the go with the new Sun Football App – click here to download